Pretty Little Liars Finale - More Questions, Fewer Answers, A Little Bit Of Back Fat

Last week, I posted the top 10 questions I wanted answered in the Pretty Little Liars finale. After last night's episode, I have to say...I'm kind of more frustrated than ever. Just a couple of my questions were answered fully, and others are only sort-of answered with a healthy dose of speculation. Hmmph.

Let's take a look and see what, if anything, has been settled.


1. What happened to their therapist? Did she know too much and meet a bitter end? Will she end up dead, just like Ian? What, if anything, did A tell her? And what will A do with her files and recordings of the girls' sessions?
ANSWER: From what I understand, the therapist was in on it all along, at least to some degree. Her life was never in danger and she seemed to be paid off by A at the end. Why all the scenes with her “discovering” who A was? Not sure. Maybe she didn’t know who she was working for, or maybe it’s just sloppy writing on the show's part.  But if she was paid off by A, odds are nothing the girls said to her was kept confidential. Yikes.
 2. What's the deal with the hockey stick? It belonged to Spencer, but it was clearly used and buried by someone else. Is it the murder weapon? Did the murderer bury it, or is Mr. Hastings covering for someone?
ANSWER: No clue. Maybe something to do with what Mr. Hastings and Jason were whispering about? Or maybe something we don’t know yet at all. Or maybe something from A to throw the girls off track, since the shovel was the murder weapon.
3. What is "The Jason Thing" that Jenna and Garrett keep referring to? Is it related to their creepy peeping Tom club, or to Allison herself?
ANSWER: “The Jason Thing” is that Jenna and Garrett slipped an “I know what you did last night” note into his pocket the night Allison was killed, leading him to believe he was his sister’s killer. Not totally sure on the motive of that just yet – might have been because they wanted to be mean to Jason. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but Jenna and Garrett are not very nice people.
 4. What is the real connection between the DiLaurentis family and Mr. Hastings? It's obviously more than just a lawyer/client relationship. Is he only covering up the forged will, or is there more - and is Spencer correct in thinking the DiLaurentis fam has dirt on the Hastings?
ANSWER: Iffy! I read the scene between Jason and Mr. Hastings at the police station like this: Mr. Hastings was sleeping with Allison, and he told Jason. I might be waaaaay off base. My BFF says it could be anything, and she’s right. So…I guess no concrete answer yet.
5. Why is Aria's brother Mike acting like a depressed klepto lunatic? My theory is he's working with someone - hence the sketchy IM conversations - but who?  Is he stealing things for a purpose, or is it all merely just a cry for attention?
ANSWER: Nada, other than the fact that he’s “working with a therapist” and “opening up.”  Although, it’s interesting that his psychologist was recommended by Dr. Sullivan. So maybe there is a whole lot more to this than we think…
 6. Was Allison being abused by Jason (or his friends) in some way, as has been hinted this season?
ANSWER: No clue! Unless you go with my Allison-was-doing-Mr.-Hastings theory, which means she was sleeping with her friend’s dad and a known peeping Tom. So, pretty fucked up - but not necessarily non-consensual. Also, with the whole inheritance thing, it’s pretty clear that her relationship with Jason was never very pleasant, but at this point, I think there were far more dangerous people in Allison's life than Jason.
 7. What was Jason burying in his front yard? Did I miss something?
ANSWER: I have no idea, unless I did actually miss something. Did I? Help me out, people.
 8. Why was A buying boots online - seriously, this one is making me crazy. Was this answered? Why boots? Why online shopping - and who wears gloves to use their own computer!?
ANSWER: The boots were part of Dr. Sullivan’s “buried body,” though I still have no clue why A was wearing gloves to do online shopping.
9. Will Aria's parents find out about her relationship with Ezra - and just how into Aria is Jason? Did he really "find" those pictures - I highly doubt it. So when did he (or Ian? or Garrett?) take them? And why?
ANSWER: Unless Ezra totally pusses out, he will probably admit to the affair with Aria. Then again, he is kind of a pussy. And Aria is in enough trouble right now as it is. So maybe not. As for the photos, no answers.
10. Is Spencer right in thinking A is actually a group of people? Sure seems likely, considering what he or she (or they!?!) is capable of.
ANSWER: It’s clear that Jenna and Garrett are both in on this somehow. Are they A? I don’t think so. Not to be blunt, but I don’t think a blind chick could be that good of a spy. Also, wasn’t A busy with Dr. Sullivan? But at any rate, multiple people are obviously involved.

Based on everything that's happened, I don't believe that Jenna and/or Garrett are A, but I do think they are working with A - logistically, this finale doesn't make much sense otherwise. I also think Jenna and Garrett were somehow involved with Allison's murder (maybe they were there?) but not the killers.  They wouldn't let that drop in season two. 

Naturally, I am frustrated, but more hooked than ever. See now, this is how you do a whodunit show - I'm looking at you, The Killing. You give a little, but then you draw them back in. And dammit, I'm still obsessed. Here's hoping we get some nice back story during their Halloween special in October.

Some final random observations: I felt very bad for all the girls when they were carrying out A's "tasks" but most badly for Hanna. I am curious to see how her family deals with the aftermath. It looks like Ezra is on the cusp of admitting to Ella that he's dating Aria, but Jackie is apparently now totally batshit crazypants, so. Interesting twist! And finally, the waitress referred to A as "pretty eyes," which is definitely a clue. Who has pretty eyes? It pains me to say it, but Bianca Lawson, who plays Maya, has the most stunning eyes. And she's just come back to town...focused on Emily. No spoilers, just speculation. Something to think about until October...

Blog Archive