TEENAGE DRAMA


A day after she was put behind bars at the Madison County jail in Anderson, Ind., for slapping and choking her ex-fiancé, Teen Mom star Amber Portwood is a free woman.

The reality TV star was released from the jail Tuesday afternoon, a source at the jail tells PEOPLE. Portwood plead not guilty to domestic violence charges, according to TMZ.com.

On Monday, Portwood began a 24-hour hold stemming from criminal charges filed against her earlier in the day for a physical altercation she had with her ex, Gary Shirley, with whom she has a 2-year-old daughter, Leah.

Portwood, 20, was charged with three felonies, including two counts of domestic battery and one count of neglect of a dependent. She was also charged with one misdemeanor charge of domestic battery.

In July, Portwood told PEOPLE that that fight, which was captured by MTV cameras, was difficult for her to watch when it aired.

"I don't like seeing myself in that way," she said at the time. "It portrays me how I am in that moment, but it's not me, and I don't want people thinking I'm just a physical person because I'm not."

She'd also begun mixed martial arts training, as a form of self-defense and an outlet for aggression.

"It's a great stress reliever," she said. "It's amazing."

Blog Archive